Module 2 First Thoughts

So after a tutorial I'm still feeling overwhelmed by Module 2 but have worked out my philosophy and direction with regards to my practice. I have a real interest in examining the perception and response of my pre-vocational and vocational students towards the intense level of training they receive and it's something I want to explore further to ensure I can give them the best possible training as individuals at that level. Looking at different types of students that come into the college, their requirements both technically and artistically and the methods of teaching they respond best to will, I hope, enhance my ability to make them employable and self sufficient.

The self sufficiency is a big focus for me as I have found that instilling in students the understanding that they need to take the teaching I give them and then take it further outside of class can be a battle. When the subject we teach is so physical, encouraging repetition and practice, especially in an area that may be out of the student's comfort zone is tricky. This is another area I'm looking at exploring.

Finding a specific line of enquiry however is proving difficult and I wondered if anyone else is struggling with this and how they are approaching it?

Comments

  1. Hi Joe, I too was feeling overwhelmed (still am a little) by Module 2 and pin pointing exactly what I wanted to research in an academic setting in order to broaden my teaching practice knowledge. I am really interested in memory and have decided to look at that. My aim is to make my students independent and employable too and I believe this goes hand in hand with picking things up quickly and whether that relates to understanding where the movement comes from. It is tricky to narrow the specifics hope you are getting to grips with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca, I'm getting there slowly. Finally found my focus being drawn to the confliction between traditional teaching methods (I.e. Analyse the technique, teach the sequence, correct and work on problems, repeat) and the need to make students training to be professionals independent so they can continue to develop after their graduation. It's still pretty broad but it's starting to feel a little more manageable! It's always refreshing to hear lots of us are still finding our feet with the academic side of things! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Identifying My Theoretical Frameworks

Module 3, getting stuck in!